Protecting and monetizing intellectual property (IP) in the cannabis industry is an important step for most businesses, but it can also be challenging. In addition to state and local rules, federal law creates an unusual environment, and the market is highly dynamic and competitive.
Several cannabis businesses have established significant market share by creating and leveraging intellectual property. Others have been served demand letters or lawsuits because their branding allegedly infringes upon existing protected IP – whether owned by cannabis businesses or non-cannabis businesses. As a corporate cannabis law firm serving the marijuana industry since 2010, we have seen just about every possible scenario.
To help you gain a high-level understanding of cannabis IP and how to use it, Harris Bricken presented a webinar entitled “Intellectual Property in the Cannabis Industry” on May 17, 2018. Moderated by Vince Sliwoski, intellectual property attorneys Alison Malsbury, John Mansfield, and Mike Atkins provide a detailed overview of what you need to know to protect your cannabis brand.
The attorneys covered topics such as:
- The importance of copyrights, trade secrets, patents, and trademarks to your cannabis business
- IP hurdles cannabis business owners frequently encounter • Categories of goods and services eligible for IP protection
- Federal protections available to cannabis businesses
- IP licensing, both within state borders and across state lines
- How to avoid cannabis IP disputes, and what to do in the case of a dispute
Need Help With Cannabis Law?