The large-scale shift to telework brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic is prompting businesses around the world to explore new avenues to engage with clients and friends. Harris Bricken is no exception, and we are proud to announce our new podcast series: Global Law and Business, hosted by international attorneys Fred Rocafort and Jonathan Bench.
Every Thursday, Fred and Jonathan take a bite-sized look at legal and economic developments in locales around the world in an effort to decipher global trends in law and business with the help of their international guests. No topic is too big, too small, too simple, or too complicated. They will be covering continents, countries, regimes, governance, finances, legal developments, and whatever is trending on Twitter.
In Episode #5, we discuss artificial intelligence (AI) with Dr. Valerie Hudson, University Distinguished Professor and George H.W. Bush Chair, Professor of International Affairs at Texas A&M University. We cover:
- Why today is a significant turning point for AI in human society.
- How the Covid-19 pandemic intensifies concerns about data collection and AI applications.
- What world business and government leaders should be considering when crafting AI policies, laws, and regulations.
- Reading recommendations from Dr. Hudson: (The First Political Order: How Sex Shapes Governance and National Security Worldwide by Valerie Hudson et al. and The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power by Shoshana Zuboff); from Fred: (Ramos v. Louisiana, a U.S. Supreme Court decision on jury unanimity),; from Jonathan: (The Hard Thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz).
If you have comments on this episode or if you’d like to suggest topics for future episodes, please email globallawbiz [at] harrisbricken [dot] com.
And please follow Fred and Jonathan on social media to stay informed on upcoming guests and topics:
- Fred Rocafort (Twitter: @RocafortFred) (LinkedIn) (WeChat: fredwanganping)
- Jonathan Bench (Twitter: @jonathan_bench) (LinkedIn) (WeChat: jbench588)
- Global Law and Business Twitter: @globallawbiz
We’ll see you next Thursday for another discussion on the global business environment, this time with guest Shanon Brandao as we discuss current developments in the EU.