The large-scale shift to telework brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic is prompting businesses around the world to explore new avenues to engage with clients and friends. Harris Bricken is no exception, and we are proud to announce our new podcast series: Global Law and Business, hosted by international attorneys Fred Rocafort and Jonathan Bench.
Every Thursday, Fred and Jonathan take a bite-sized look at legal and economic developments in locales around the world in an effort to decipher global trends in law and business with the help of their international guests. No topic is too big, too small, too simple, or too complicated. They will be covering continents, countries, regimes, governance, finances, legal developments, and whatever is trending on Twitter.
- Former President José “Pepe” Mujica’s critical role in making Uruguay the first country in the world to legalize recreational cannabis.
- The current legal framework for cannabis in Uruguay—and why there is no going back for the country when it comes to cannabis.
- Uruguay’s aspirations to become a world hub for cannabis research and production, and its new related legislation.
- Why Uruguay is a welcoming and attractive destination for foreign investors, and not just those in the cannabis sector.
- At least one important thing you should know about Uruguay, aside from cannabis! (Hint: 1930 and 1950).
- Reading recommendations from:
- Rodolfo: Special Operations in the Age of Chivalry, 1100-1550 by Yuval Noah Harari. And frankly anything by Dr. Harari (Fred concurs).
- Jonathan: The Greatest Underdog Story in Muay Thai: Yoddecha Sityodtong on YouTube.
- Fred: “The Grand Tour” by Evan Osnos, on The New Yorker.
And please follow Fred and Jonathan on social media to stay informed on upcoming guests and topics:
- Fred Rocafort (Twitter: @RocafortFred) (LinkedIn) (WeChat: fredwanganping)
- Jonathan Bench (Twitter: @jonathan_bench) (LinkedIn) (WeChat: jbench588)
- Global Law and Business Twitter: @globallawbiz
We’ll see you next Thursday for another discussion on the global business environment, this time with guest David Baxter as we discuss public–private partnerships (PPP) worldwide.