Using a combination of Google Analytics, a bit of guesswork and a lot of our own opinions, the following were our Top Ten Cannabis Stories of 2105, in order:
- Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders proposes a bill to deschedule marijuana. If passed this bill would effectively end federal cannabis prohibition.
- The Obama administration recommends that the U.S. Supreme Court toss out Nebraska and Oklahoma’s lawsuit against Colorado for Colorado’s having legalized recreational marijuana.
- A Federal judge orders Department of Justice (DOJ) agents to stop taking enforcement actions against a medical marijuana dispensary in California.
- Oregon begins selling recreational marijuana through medical marijuana dispensaries.
- Congress restricts Department of Justice spending related to fighting legal marijuana.
- Legalization fails in Ohio as its voters reject a highly controversial marijuana monopoly.
- The DEA appoints new chief who calls medical marijuana “a joke.”
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau lays the groundwork to legalize marijuana throughout Canada.
- Washington State elects to merge the medical and recreational marijuana markets with the passing of Senate Bill 5052 and House Bill 2136.
- Alaska and Washington D.C. legalize marijuana but do not create legal marijuana marketplaces.
What do you see for 2016?